Thursday, September 27, 2012

A piece of advice

Firstly, I'm back in Singapore for good! I can't help but demonstrate  a slight tinge of disappointment but at the same time, a new chapter has to begin. Before I left Perth, everyone plastered their 'wish me well' notes on my back through the countless hugs and habitual goodbyes. As much as six days sounds like a terribly short amount of time, I think somewhere deep down, I've grown up a little. Before bed talks, morning after breakfast conversations whilst perceiving the dividing water between the city and where we sat, I'm grateful I finally got to spend some quality time with my mother. We usually bicker generously over the most trivial things, for this I blame the hustle and bustle air in Singapore. During the trip however, she was more a friend than a mother. You have to comprehend that my mother and I have drastically different wave lengths in thought. There rarely goes a day where we can see eye to eye. Right before bed she prompts the subject of life as the center of our discussion.

Her piece of advice,
'You must always be happy in what ever you do. It's silly to do things simply for the benefit of others. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking you to be selfish in life. You can always extend a hand to what's necessary and be generous with your riches. But darling, you have to understand that life itself is a selfish act. Even love, is selfish. You can sacrifice your entire being to a person but can you find your happiness in that? As a mother, I want you to do your best just like every other mother. As a friend, I want you to reflect back upon where you are now and ask yourself, have you been happy? Has everything you've done amount to that happiness you're looking for? If it hasn't, it's about time you travel somewhere and find that happiness. Go far, there are no boundaries. I don't know if you find it in Sean, in your work, family or in anybody else.  Cause I know happy when I see it. And right now, happy isn't you. Maybe you ought to take a step back and lay your options where you can get clear sight of them. Think hard. Sometimes the things you want aren't necessarily the things that will make you happy. For everything else, you're the judge of what's a test and what's an obstacle.'

I can't measure happiness, in fact, I don't think anyone can. I believe that life is a balance of positive and negative outcomes. I feel happy. There's just something missing and I don't know what it is.

I'll sort it out. Just after I unpack six packed to the brim luggages filled with bags full of memories. There are so many things I want to share but let's just leave it as that for today. Anyway, here are a couple of my recent favourite accessories/necessities and my oh-so humble collection of sunglasses.

It's Friday tomorrow, I hope you guys will have a wonderful weekend!












And to Andrea, I could never thank you ever enough for everything.


"Everything seems like a city of dreams, I never know why but I still miss you."

Love,
D


No comments: